During my last Trader Joe’s run I discovered an almond butter granola and couldn’t resist picking it up. In all honesty, I may have liked it a little too much because it didn’t last more than two days in my house! Oops. There are certain things that I have a hard time eating in moderation (like chips) and apparently granola is one of them. Rather than buy it again, I decided to try my hand at making my own, healthier version, which I won’t be as tempted to inhale in a few sittings (or at least if I do, I won’t feel so bad about it!). The batch I whipped up uses a short list of very basic ingredients and is super tasty, but it’s free of the excess sugar and fat that’s common in traditional granolas.
I like to eat it sprinkled on top of almond yogurt with berries or even on its own with almond milk. As an aside, can I just say how obsessed I am with Kite Hill’s new Greek-style yogurt?! Have any of you tried it? I’ve never been big into yogurt, even before I decided to mostly ditch dairy, but I did enjoy Greek yogurt, and it’s something I sometimes miss. I was so excited to find Kite Hill’s dairy-free version at Whole Foods a couple weeks ago and it did not disappoint. I can’t get enough! I only buy the plain unsweetened kind because I don’t want the added sugar in the other varieties and prefer to add my own toppings, like granola! It is seriously delicious and if you’re a fan of Greek yogurt, I highly recommend giving it a try. Now, back to the granola….
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with your hands until the oats are evenly coated.
- Spread out mixture on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool completely. The granola will be a bit soft until it fully cools.
*Adapted from Elizabeth Rider’s Easy Healthy Homemade Granola
Let me know how you like to eat granola and whether you have any tried and true recipes!
One thought on “Almond Butter Granola (Vegan & Gluten Free)”