So somehow it’s Friday again already. I’m not complaining because it’s my favorite day of the week (well maybe after Saturday). I’m just wondering where the days went! This week seemed to go by in a blur for some reason. Anyone else?
Anyway, I’m popping in today to share one of my favorite new-to-me recipes, courtesy of my mother-in-law, Carol. When Carol came to visit us shortly after we had Jackson (back in 2016), she made a pasta dish for dinner one night that completely knocked my socks off. It was essentially just pasta tossed with sauteed vegetables that were seasoned with olive oil, spices, and lemon juice. If it sounds super basic, that’s because it is, but don’t let that fool you! The flavor is fantastic. I was honestly surprised at how much I liked it because I’m typically much more of a tomato sauce person when it comes to pasta and never choose to order an olive oil-based dish when I go to restaurants. I liked it so much, though, that I’ve now added the recipe to my shortlist of standbys, and I request it every time Carol comes to stay with us!
The one thing I often change when I make it myself is the pasta. I like to swap out regular pasta for lentil pasta to boost the protein content. I also happen to love lentil pasta! I should note that the taste and texture of bean and legume pastas vary by brand, so I can only speak for the kind I used, which is Trader Joe’s. I may do a post dedicated to bean pasta and what I recommend, because I’ve tried quite a few. If bean pasta is not your thing though, feel free to use regular old pasta. The other thing I change up is the mix of veggies, depending on what veggies I have on hand. For this recipe, I used broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms, but we’ve had it with asparagus and snow peas thrown in too. You can really use whatever you like and it’ll be delish!
I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for stopping by!
- 1 12-oz package of lentil pasta (I used this kind from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 8-oz package of mushrooms, chopped (about 3.5 cups)
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5-2 tbsp olive oil (depending on preference)
- Salt and pepper
- Add olive oil to a pan, throw in the carrots and broccoli, and then mix until the veggies are evenly coated. Add the oregano, basil, and lemon juice and mix again. Cover and saute the carrots and broccoli on medium heat, stirring often, until the veggies are tender but still crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms until fully cooked and all the water has evaporated. Combine the mushrooms with the other veggies and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking, boil water for the pasta. Cook the lentil pasta according to the package directions.
- Top pasta with veggie mixture.