A few months ago my sister introduced me to the hummus brand, Delighted By. Have you heard of it? Delighted By makes dessert hummus flavors like Brownie Batter and Snickerdoodle that are absolutely delicious and made with clean ingredients. Dessert hummus? Now why didn’t I think of that?! You probably don’t associate chickpeas with chocolate or anything else sweet for that matter, and it may strike you as gross, but trust me when I tell you that you’d never know chickpeas are the main ingredient in this dip. Seriously, my mind was blown when I first tasted it.
With Easter coming up next week and with so much emphasis on chocolate for the holiday, I wanted to try recreating the Brownie Batter hummus because I think it makes for a perfect sweet treat to serve at any Easter festivities. It tastes rich and decadent, but since it’s made from a short list of healthy and wholesome ingredients, it’s a rather healthy way to indulge! With chickpeas as the base, you get a nice serving of protein and fiber, which isn’t usually a hallmark of a chocolatey dessert.
My creation was a total experiment because I didn’t know how much of each ingredient to use and had to do some educated guessing, but after a little trial and error, I was very happy with the end result. It’s smooth and creamy with a rich chocolate flavor that reminds me of chocolate mousse. It goes great as a dip for sliced fruit, and is equally good spread on crackers. I’ve even had it with celery and carrots and I think it’s delish that way too. You could also just eat it off a spoon, which I have to admit I’ve done on more than one occasion!
- 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (I used unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Place chickpeas, coconut oil, water, and almond milk in a food processor and pulse until smooth and blended.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt, and blend again.
- Chill and store in an airtight container in the fridge.