We are in serious soup weather right now. As I write this, it feels like negative 15 degrees outside (no that’s not a typo). Fortunately this cold spell isn’t supposed to last more than 24 hours, but yikes that’s cold! It’s safe to say I will not be venturing out today. Days like this call for hot tea, a cozy fire, and homemade soup. Lots and lots of soup. Continue reading “Curried Lentil Soup”
We had a few blissfully warm days over the past couple of weeks but this weekend the deep freeze returned, and there’s a snowstorm in the forecast for tomorrow. A really big one apparently. Womp womp. We’re exactly a week away from the first day of spring, so let’s hope this is winter’s last hurrah before the temps start climbing for good. I’m so ready for warm weather and sunshine!
When it’s this cold outside I like to warm up with a nourishing bowl of soup. As much as I like salads, I often crave something hot for dinner in the winter and don’t find salads so appealing. I don’t want to forgo all my veggies though and that’s where soup comes in! A hearty veggie soup packs in loads of healthy and fresh ingredients while offering the comfort of a warm dish. This lentil and green pea veggie soup is a family fave that I make all throughout the winter months. It’s filling and flavorful and incredibly easy. Whenever I’m making soup I always double or triple the recipe and make a giant pot so that we can eat it for several nights. You can also freeze it if you want to have some on hand for later, but we always wind up eating it all and don’t have any left over to freeze!
I didn’t measure the quantity but it makes a lot. I’d guess about 12 cups! If you wind up making it and measure it out, let me know.
Lentil & Green Pea Veggie Soup
- 4 tbsp low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1.5 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked green lentils, rinsed thoroughly
7-8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add 4 tbsp vegetable broth to an extra large skillet or pot placed on medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, celery, sweet potato, and garlic. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender or at least starting to soften.
- Add 7 cups of vegetable broth to the pot along with the uncooked lentils. Add the curry powder and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. If you notice that you need more liquid, add up to a cup more of veggie broth to thin out the soup.
- Add in frozen peas and spinach and stir until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Adapted from the Oh She Glows Curried Lentil Soup recipe